Friday, February 4, 2011

Concerts

I love concerts. Like really, really, really love them. There is something about the way a place feels when people are crammed in and anxiously awaiting the artist to appear. It's so full of energy and excitement and it is one of my favorite places to be. I have been very fortunate to be able to go to a lot of concerts. Atlanta gets the majority of tours and, of course, everyone wants to play in Music City.

My inspiration for this post comes from my most recent concert ticket purchase. On September 17, I will be watching Taylor Swift from floor seats in Nashville. FLOOR SEATS. TAYLOR SWIFT. OH MY GOSHHHHHHH. For those of you who know me, you know my love of T.Swift goes back to the summer before junior year of high school. I can tell you exactly where I was the first time I heard "Picture to Burn" (my friend Kristin's room during her 17th birthday party). She is, in my opinion, the most relatable artist out there and one of my favorite things to do is drive with my windows down blaring "You Belong with Me" or "White Horse". This show will be the 5th time I've seen her live. Judge me, whatever.

Anyways, great concerts always equate to great memories. Here are some of my favorites:

1. The Fray. June, 2009. Atlanta, GA. Chastain Amphitheater. I LOVE The Fray. They are so, so talented and put on an amazing live show. And it started pouring down rain...like it was one of those huge Southern summer storms. They still played. Acoustically. After hearing "Never Say Never" like this, I totally understand why some people explain music as a religious experience.

2. John Mayer. February, 2010. Nashville, TN. Sommet Center. John Mayer is my guitar hero. He makes me want to buy a Stratocaster and play all day. His lyrics are clever. Plus, he cried on stage. It got real deep up in Sommet Center.

3. NSYNC-2001. Atlanta, GA. Philips Arena. No Strings Attached tour. I loved (still love) Justin Timberlake and they were just such wonderful performers. I miss boy bands.

4. Backstreet Boys-2001. Charlotte, NC. I liked BSB (not more than NSYNC) and they put on a good show, but for me, my favorite part is that my mom drove me all the way to Charlotte to take me to this concert with my cousins. I still remember laughing in the front seat and singing along the whole way up there. I hope I get do this with my daughter someday.

5. Taylor Swift, September 2009. Nashville, TN. Sommet Center. I sat next to the funniest 9 year old girl who was an oversharer to the extreme. And the "Fearless" tour was amazing. Faith Hill came out and sang with Taylor and the whole show was just a really awesome production.

6. Toby Keith, 2008. Atlanta, GA. Lakewood Amphitheater. There were a lot of rednecks at this show. But, the best part was when my best friends all put their arms around each other during "You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This"...we are so lame. Plus, Miranda Lambert opened for him and she is so cool.

7. Sara Barielles. October, 2010. Nashville, TN. Ryman Auditorium. Sara is one of the best artists I have ever seen live. She is funny and talented and puts on an incredible show. She is proof that you don't need fireworks, backup dancers, and a flying stage to be an amazing performer.

8. All for the Hall, October 2009 and October 2010. Nashville, TN. Sommet/Bridgestone. This concert is a benefit for the Country Music Hall of Fame (which I highly suggest you check out if you are ever in the Nashville area) and it has the best lineup of artists. Keith Urban and Vince Gill host it and Keith plays a long set (which always includes "Stupid Boy") and the rest of the artists play two songs. Brad Paisley, Jason Aldean, Dolly Parton, John Mayer, Miranda Lambert, Faith Hill, Taylor Swift, and more have played this benefit. I can't wait for next year's show.


Okay. There are some of my faves. Yay for live music :)

Love, love, love.

No comments:

Post a Comment